Psychology (Bachelor of Science, B.S.)
The study of psychology provides a better understanding of human nature and of the behavior of oneself and others as individuals and as members of a group. The Department of Psychology offers a Bachelor of Science degree. The department also serves other disciplines by offering courses that meet their needs.
|Students must complete General Studies courses||42-47|
|BIO 101||Principles of Biology||4|
|or BIO 105||Principles of Organismal Biology|
|PSY 101||General Psychology||3|
|PSY 200||Intermediate Psychology||3|
|PSY 300||Introductory Psychological Statistics||3|
|PSY 301||Psychology Research Methods||3|
|PSY 303||Psychology Research Team||3|
|PSY 445||Senior Seminar||3|
|Select one course from each of the following restricted elective core groupings:|
|Psychology of Gender|
or PSY 230
|Psychology of Communication|
or PSY 260
|Learning and Memory|
or PSY 340
|Introduction to Neuroscience|
or PSY 355
|Sensation and Perception|
or PSY 365
or PSY 321
|Adaptive Behavior Core||3|
or PSY 325
|Psychology of Personality|
or PSY 400
|Introduction to Psychological Testing and Assessment|
|History and Systems Core||3|
|History and Systems in Psychology|
Additional six credit hours of electives (at least three credits 300 or higher) in Psychology 1
|Total Credit Hours||91-96|
At lease 3 credit hours numbered 300 or higher required. These electives may be chosen from the remaining courses in the restricted core electives above or from other offerings.
Note: It is recommended that all students preparing for graduate school take PSY 430 History and Systems in Psychology; this is a requirement for entrance to many graduate schools.
University Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.