Non-Degree Seeking/Certification Students

Non-Degree Seeking Students

The following policies apply to students who are not seeking a master's degree and wish to enroll in graduate courses:

  • Students with a bachelor’s degree who wish to take courses for graduate credit but who do not intend to seek a master’s degree must submit transcripts from an accredited college or university showing a degree date and a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.75.
  • Senior undergraduate students desiring to take courses for graduate credit may take up to six total credit hours of graduate-level courses (500 level only) for graduate credit during only the last two semesters before receiving the bachelor’s degree, provided they meet the following criteria:
    • Are within 24 hours or less of meeting the requirements for the baccalaureate degree;
    • Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of not less than 3.0;
    • File an application for graduate admission and receive approval before registering for the graduate course;
    • Have the consent of the instructor(s) of the graduate course(s);
    • A course taken for undergraduate graduation credit will NOT be allowed to count as graduate credit;
    • The Approval Form must be completed;
    • Students with a bachelor’s degree who do not have appropriate program-required courses for admission to graduate work but are otherwise admissible to a graduate program may, with permission of the appropriate graduate program, take as many undergraduate courses as required for a degree-seeking graduate application.
  • Students interested in taking in-service/Professional Development courses or Workshops for graduate credit may do so by seeking admission through the Graduate Office. They must show proof of a bachelor’s degree by submitting appropriate academic transcripts. These students are limited to taking certain pre-approved courses.

Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid. 

Requesting a Change from Non-Degree Seeking to Degree-Seeking

Non-degree seeking students may request a change in status to degree seeking by completing a Graduate Program of Study Change form.

The student must meet all of the regular Graduate School admissions criterion as well as requirements for acceptance to the specified graduate program. Program specific requirements are given in the graduate program section of the Graduate School web site or on the individual graduate program’s web site.

A completed Program of Study Form for the graduate program of interest should be submitted with the Change of Program of Study form including signatures of approval from the Graduate Program Director and the Graduate Dean.

Certification Students

Students seeking postgraduate teacher certification, or other forms of professional certification for which Missouri Western has an academic program, are required to provide information as a college transfer or as a returning Missouri Western student as indicated previously.