Graduate School Admission Requirements
Application material must be submitted to the Office of Admissions by the program deadline. After screening for minimum criteria, the application and all supporting materials will be forwarded to and evaluated by the graduate admissions committee of the appropriate program to which the student is applying. The recommendation of the program committee and/or the program director is sent to the Office of Graduate Studies for final approval by the Graduate Dean. The Graduate School Office will then notify the student of his/her admission status.
Admission to graduate programs at Missouri Western is based upon the following minimum criteria:
- A Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree from an accredited college or university. Transcript(s) must be submitted with application.
- Entrance to Graduate School requires a minimum 2.75 undergraduate grade point average (GPA) or previously earned master’s degree.
- A minimum graduate-level entrance exam score, as designated by the department or graduate program.
- Individual programs may have further requirements for admissions such as resume, letters of recommendation, and interview. Requirements specific to the program are given in the graduate program section of the University’s Graduate Catalog.
- Degree-seeking students admitted to a graduate program must enroll and begin classes at Missouri Western within the next academic year after receiving official notice of acceptance from the Graduate Office. An extension may be granted under extreme circumstances.
- Applicants who are non-native speakers of English must receive a minimum score of 79 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a 6.0 academic IELTS score unless they possess a baccalaureate degree from a college or university in which instruction is given in English. Tests taken more than two (2) years prior to the date of application cannot be accepted.
Applicants who fail to meet one or more of the graduate school requirements or degree program requirements (i.e. low GPA, missing pre-requisite coursework, English language requirement, entrance exam score, etc...) may still be admitted conditionally. Students receiving conditional admission students will receive notification of the conditions in their acceptance letter and must fulfill those conditions to continue in the graduate program. Failure to fulfill the conditions will result in program dismissal. Dismissed students may reapply after a one year lay-out, subject to program review.
Misrepresenting or Falsifying Information
Any student who misrepresents, falsifies or withholds required information will be referred to the Admissions and Graduation Committee for review and appropriate action. Such action may result in being denied admission to Missouri Western or immediate dismissal from Missouri Western. The University reserves the right to investigate and review the records of any prospective student to determine the applicant's eligibility to enroll.