To be admitted to the Graduate School at MWSU, an applicant should submit an Application for Graduate Admission before the Admissions Deadline.
Admission to a graduate program as a degree seeking student is based upon the following minimum criteria:
- A Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from an accredited college or university. Transcript(s) must be submitted with the application.
- Entrance to Graduate School requires a minimum 2.75 undergraduate grade point average (GPA) or a previously earned Master’s degree.
- A minimum graduate-level entrance exam score, if required, as designated by the department or graduate program.
- Individual programs may have additional requirements for admissions such as submission of a resume, curriculum vitea or portfolio of representative work for review, letters of recommendation, or an interview. Requirements specific to a given graduate program are provided in the graduate program section of the University’s Graduate Catalog.
- Degree-seeking students admitted to a graduate program must enroll and begin classes at MWSU within the next academic year after receiving official notice of acceptance from the Graduate Office. An extension may be granted under extreme circumstances.
- Applicants who are non-native speakers of English must receive a minimum score of 79 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a 6.0 academic IELTS score unless they possess a baccalaureate degree from a college or university in which instruction is given in English. Tests taken more than two (2) years prior to the date of application cannot be accepted.
Applicants who fail to meet one or more of the graduate school requirements or degree program requirements (i.e. low GPA, missing pre-requisite coursework, English language requirement, entrance exam score, etc...) may still be admitted conditionally. Conditionally admitted students will receive notification of the conditions in their acceptance letter and must fulfill those conditions to continue in the graduate program. Failure to fulfill the conditions will result in program dismissal. Dismissed students may reapply after a one year lay-out, subject to program review.