A transfer student is a student who has enrolled and completed at least one credit hour in a college or university after high school (not including the summer immediately following high school graduation), but has never attended Missouri Western.
To be admitted in this category, applicants must provide:
- An application for admission.
- An official transcript from each undergraduate college and university attended. Student transcripts received from other colleges and universities become the property of Missouri Western, and are not reissued to the student or to another institution.
- An official high school transcript and ACT/SAT scores if applicant has earned less than 24 transferable credit hours.
Students who have completed an Associate of Arts degree (AA), a bachelors degree or the Missouri 42-hour general education block (must be noted on the transcript or other official document) from a regionally-accredited institution, are considered to have satisfactorily completed Missouri Western’s general studies requirements (some exceptions apply which will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis). Completion of general studies requirements does not waive departmental major pre-requisites. A transfer student who has completed any other degree will have their courses evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
Missouri Western accepts unlimited lower division transfer hours (100-200 level) from accredited two-year colleges. Graduation requirements which may impact a transfer student include:
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (including 60 hours from a senior college in the following departments: Art; Biology; Chemistry; Communication and Journalism; Theatre, Cinema and Dance; Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics; Economics, Political Science and Sociology; English and Modern Languages; History and Geography; Philosophy and Religion; Music; and Psychology)
- Earn a minimum of 30 credits in upper-division coursework (300-400 level). Lower division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credits at Missouri Western in institutional coursework
- Refer to www.missouriwestern.edu/ transfer for transfer credit equivalencies and guidelines
CORE 42 MOTRansfer Guaranteed
The Missouri Higher Education Core Transfer Curriculum is a recommended lower-division core curriculum of forty-two semester credit hours intended to facilitate student transfer among Missouri’s public institutions of higher education. It is a statewide general education course of study intended to ensure that all graduates possess a common core of college-level skills and knowledge.
Effective Fall 2018, a student who attends another Missouri public college or university after high school graduation, has attempted 12 credit hours or more, and whose first term at Missouri Western is subsequent to this attendance, is eligible for CORE 42.
Once a student applies for admission to MWSU and is identified as CORE 42 eligible their student record will be coded appropriately. The student’s degree audit on Griffon GPS will reflect the CORE 42 general education curriculum and transfer courses which meet requirements will show as complete.
CORE 42 is comprised of dozens of courses distributed across five knowledge areas.
- Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Written and Oral Communications
- Natural Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Humanities and Fine Arts
The courses in each knowledge area are designated with a Missouri Transfer (MOTR) course number, which guarantees the one-to-one transfer among all Missouri public institutions of higher education.
Missouri Western MOTR courses are identified within the course description in the university catalog and within the semester schedule www.missouriwestern.edu/schedule. MOTR courses from other Missouri schools can be found at https://dhe.mo.gov/core42.php.
More information can be found at
- Missouri Western CORE 42
- Missouri Journey to College
- Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE)
- Admissions Office at 816.271.4266, Eder Hall 101
- Registrar’s Office at 816.271.4211., Eder Hall 102
Determination of Transferability
Missouri Western adheres to the guidelines of the Missouri Articulation Agreement. Transfer coursework is evaluated, credit is awarded and policies applied in the same manner applicable to currently enrolled Missouri Western students. Applicants who are considering transferring to Missouri Western should refer to the Table of Academic Standards to determine their incoming academic standing for transfer admission purposes.
Missouri Western awards transfer credit for undergraduate coursework completed at regionally accredited associations recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE). A full list of those agencies can be found at www.chea.org.
Transfer credit is:
- Awarded if it was completed at the prior institution after they received accreditation or during the period that they were granted candidacy status from a regional accrediting body as stated above.
- Not awarded for coursework completed at institutions not accredited as stated above. Exceptions may be approved through the transfer appeals process. See “Appeal Procedure for Transfer Credits.”
- Awarded to graduate level students for graduate coursework approved by the head of the appropriate graduate program or the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Typically not awarded for vocational-technical programs or practical training. Exceptions may be approved for specific programs, degrees, articulated agreements or by approval of the appropriate academic department chair, dean or the Admissions and Graduation Committee. The Bachelor of Science in Technology (BST) has been designed to incorporate AAS degrees from regionally accredited institutions.
- Awarded for a limited number of religion courses that are substantially similar to courses offered at Missouri Western. Courses in mission, theology, doctrine, and religious education are not accepted.
- Awarded to students only if they enroll at Missouri Western subsequent to completing coursework at other institutions (exceptions may be approved by the Registrar’s Office).
Appeal Procedure for Transfer Credits
A student has the right to appeal a denial of transfer credit at Missouri Western. After consulting the Office of Admissions, a student wishing to appeal should take the following steps:
The student wishing to appeal must:
- File an appeal with the Admissions and Graduation Committee (contact the Registrar’s Office, Eder 102 with questions).
- Indicate specific transfer course and proposed MWSU equivalent/requirement for each transfer course.
- For each transfer course submit a course description, a course syllabus and if appealing coursework from an institution not regionally accredited, the credentials of the instructor.
- For each general studies transfer request provide documentation if the course was considered a general education course at the transfer school.
After all appeal steps internal to Missouri Western have been exhausted, a transfer student may appeal to the state level Committee on Transfer and Articulation, http://dhe.mo.gov/policies/credit-transfer.php.
Misrepresenting or Falsifying Information
Any student who misrepresents, falsifies or withholds required information will be referred to the Admissions and Graduation Committee for review and appropriate action. Such action may result in being denied admission to Missouri Western or immediate dismissal from Missouri Western. The University reserves the right to investigate and review the records of any prospective student to determine the applicant's eligibility to enroll.