Academic Standards & Grading

This is a draft edition of the 2024-2025 catalog. Information contained within is subject to change.

Grading System

Grades used in evaluating the work of students are as follows:

Level of Performance Letter Grade Quality Points Earned
Superior A 4 per credit
Good (above average) B 3 per credit
Average C 2 per credit
Minimum (passing below average) * D 1 per credit
Failing * F 0 per credit
Incomplete (pending official grade) I 0 per credit
Withdraw (no grade assessment) W 0 per credit
Credit CR 0 per credit

* Student must repeat course to fulfill graduation requirement.

Incomplete Grades (I)

Under certain circumstances, during the final grading process an Incomplete Grade Contract may be completed, approved and signed by the instructor, student and Graduate Dean. An incomplete grade may be given when accident, illness, death in the immediate family, or other documented circumstances beyond the student's control, prevent the student from completing some course requirements. An incomplete grade should only be considered when the majority of course requirements have been satisfied and the student is receiving a passing grade in said coursework.

An incomplete grade must be removed within eight weeks after the last final exam day for the current term (Fall, Spring, Summer); otherwise, the grade will be recorded as an “F". Any extension of time beyond the allotted eight weeks is not permitted. After the eight week deadline, the instructor of record may, under documented and justified conditions, submit a grade change to replace the “F” (see Grade Change policy).

The Incomplete Grade Contract with all signatures must be submitted to the Registrar's Office by the last day to submit final grades for the term which the incomplete grade is being requested. No Incomplete Grade Contracts will be accepted after this date. Copies of the contract should be made and given to the instructor, student and program director.

Pass-Fail Grading (CR/F)

Courses evaluated by pass-fail criteria receive the number of credits for that course with a grade of CR. A failure will result in a grade of F and no credit. Credits earned in courses that are stipulated in the catalog as being graded on a pass-fail basis will not be used in computing grade-point-averages.

Grade Change

A course grade change must be approved by the instructor, graduate program director and Graduate Dean. The approved grade change must be submitted to the Registrar prior to the end of the next regular (Fall/Spring) term after the close of the semester in which the original grade or incomplete was awarded. After this time period, a grade change must be approved by the Admissions and Graduation Committee.

Grade-Point Averages

Grade-point averages are used to determine class standing and eligibility for graduation.

The grade-point average (GPA) is a numerical ratio of credits and grade points received. The following are examples of the method of computing the grade-point average:

  • A student receiving 16 credits of B has earned 48 grade points. The GPA is 48 ÷ 16 = 3.0
  • A student receiving 16 credits of which 8 credits are B and 8 credits are C has earned 40 grade points. The GPA is 40 ÷ 16 = 2.5

Credits earned in courses in which a grade of CR is recorded are not included in the computation of the GPA. When a course is repeated, only the last recorded grade is included in the calculation. Grades of I or W do not represent credit earned and are not included in the computation of the GPA. When a grade of F is earned, the credits are included in the computation of the GPA.

Transcripts and Records of Academic Work

Official transcripts will have a certifying signature, date of issue, and university seal. Requests for official transcripts must be made online at or through the student's Goldlink account and requires the student’s signature. A fee will be charged. Unofficial transcripts may be obtained by current students through their Goldlink account. Questions about transcripts may be directed to the Registrar's Office at (816) 271-4211 or Eder Hall 102. Student transcripts received from other colleges and universities become the property of Missouri Western, and are not reissued to the student or to another institution.

Academic Probation and Suspension

A graduate student will be placed on academic probation if the overall graduate GPA falls below 3.0, or the student earns any grade below a C, regardless of overall graduate GPA. If placed on probation, the student must earn a term GPA of 3.0 or higher in the next semester (including Summer) in which the student is enrolled. A student will continue on probation until the overall graduate GPA is raised to 3.0 or higher, or is suspended for reasons described below. Suspension from the Graduate School occurs when a probationary student:

  • Fails to earn a term GPA of 3.0 or higher in the next enrolled semester (including Summer) following probation; OR
  • Has three consecutive semesters (including Summer, if enrolled) of probationary status.

A student who is not on academic probation may be suspended from the Graduate School if the student earns two or more grades below a C in a single semester.
Students who are suspended may re-apply for admission following a one-year lay-out, subject to graduate program review and approval by the graduate program director and the Graduate Dean. If a student is not approved for re-admission the student will be permanently dismissed from the Graduate School.

Appealing an Academic Suspension

Students who believe that the cause(s) of their suspension merit special consideration may submit a letter of appeal challenging the suspension. The deadline date for appeals is stated in the official notice of dismissal that is emailed to the student's campus email address and sent to the current mailing address reported by the student. Appeals received after the deadline stated in the notice of suspension will not be considered. The Academic Regulations, Standards, Honesty and Scholarship Committee will review all appeals. The Committee may reinstate a student based on documented circumstances beyond the student’s control. It is the student’s responsibility to complete a Suspension Appeal form and provide documentation clarifying how the circumstances that caused poor performance have been addressed. More information can be found here.

Readmission After Suspension

Graduate students who have been suspended may not attend MWSU for one year unless the Academic Regulations, Standards, Honesty and Scholarship Committee grants an appeal. Students applying for readmission after completing a required suspension period must file a new application. Students readmitted after suspension will enter on academic probation.