Computer Science (Bachelor of Science, B.S.)
Computer Science is an ever-expanding field with endless opportunities. Students get hands-on, learning in systems, programming, security and large scale simulation. From team collaboration to internships, your education will prepare you for an exciting career in the IT industry.
The core of Missouri Western’s Computer Science program is built around several programming languages and algorithm development. Students also study database, networking, computer architecture, operating systems and graphics.
The student must be enrolled in CSC 184 Introduction to Computer Programming of have completed CSC 184 Introduction to Computer Programming with a grade of C or higher, or have an ACT composite score of 25 or higher, or an ACT Science Reasoning score of 28 or higher. In addition, the student must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
|Students must complete General Studies courses||42-47|
|ACT 101||Introduction to Information Technology||3|
|ACT 301||Applied Database Systems||3|
|CSC 184||Introduction to Computer Programming||3|
|CSC 246||Programming Languages and Paradigms||3|
|or CSC 346||Enterprise Systems with Java|
|CSC 254||Object Oriented Programming||3|
|CSC 274||Introduction to Unix/Linux||3|
|CSC 285||Data Structures||3|
|CSC 289||Computational Methods for Computer Science||3|
|CSC 294||Networking and Telecommunications||3|
|CSC 305||Database Architecture and Concepts||3|
|CSC 324||Software Testing and DevOps||3|
|CSC 406||Object Oriented Applications and Program Development||3|
|CSC 490||CS Career Preparation||1|
|SEC 300||Introduction to Cybersecurity||3|
|Select one of the following:||3-4|
|Business Statistics I|
|Total Credit Hours||85-91|
|MAT 147||Applied Calculus||5|
|or MAT 167||Calculus with Analytic Geometry I|
|CSC 208||Discrete Structures I||3|
|CSC 264||Computer Architecture and Assembly Language Programming||3|
|CSC 318||Simulation and Modeling||3|
|CSC 386||Operating Systems Concepts||3|
|Select five (5) credit hours from ACT, CSC, SEC, or MAT courses numbered 300 - 599||5|
|Total Credit Hours||22|
Note: Computer Science-General majors must own a laptop with approved minimum specifications. Specifications are available on the CSMP home page.
Program Graduation Requirements
- Earn a grade of C or higher in all major coursework.
- Earn an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and a major GPA of at least 2.0.
University Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.