Returning/Special Student Admission

Special Student

This category is for the student who is not seeking a degree or certificate at Missouri Western. The following guidelines apply:

  • A student under suspension is not eligible to be admitted under this category.
  • A student who applies and is admitted as a special student is not eligible for financial assistance through the University. 
  • A student will not be permitted to switch to special student status to avoid penalties imposed by the University.
  • Transfer work, credit by examination (AP, IB, test-out, CLEP) and non-traditional credit will not be evaluated or posted on the Missouri Western transcript for any student who is admitted under this category.

A student who later decides to seek a degree at Missouri Western must re-apply for admission in the appropriate admission category and submit all college transcripts and pertinent test and non-traditional credit for evaluation. Consult the Office of Admissions with questions concerning the appropriate admission status. All applicable credits earned as a special student will  be applied to the new admission status.


To be admitted in this category, applicants must provide:

  1. Completed application for admission.

Visiting High School Student

Students currently enrolled in high school who are seeking admittance to Missouri Western on a part-time basis concurrent with high school attendance must provide:

  1. Completed application for admission.
  2. Certification and approval from the high school principal or counselor (required each semester prior to enrollment).
  3. Evidence of completion of junior year in high school.

Visiting College Student

Students who are attending another college or university and wish to take courses at Missouri Western and then transfer the Missouri Western coursework to the parent institution for degree applicability must provide:

  1. Completed application for admission.
  2. Unofficial transcript or Letter of Good Standing from the parent institution which reflects the student is academically eligible.

Returning to Missouri Western or Seeking Certification

Returning to Missouri Western (Re-admitted Student)

Students whose last attendance at Missouri Western State University was other than in the semester prior to that for which application is being made must provide:

  1. Completed application for admission to reactivate your record.
  2. Official transcript from each undergraduate college and university which has been attended since last enrolled at Missouri Western.
  3. Payment of any prior financial obligation to Missouri Western.

Purposes of Certification

Students seeking postgraduate teacher certification, or other forms of professional certification for which Missouri Western has an academic program, are required to provide information as a college transfer or as a returning Missouri Western student as indicated previously.

Misrepresenting or Falsifying Information

Any student who misrepresents, falsifies or withholds required information will be referred to the Admissions and Graduation Committee for review and appropriate action. Such action may result in being denied admission to Missouri Western or immediate dismissal from Missouri Western. The University reserves the right to investigate and review the records of any prospective student to determine the applicant's eligibility to enroll.

Senior Citizen Registration

Persons 65 years of age or older may register for undergraduate courses as a non-degree seeking student without payment of tuition, but may be subject to fees and other expenses. All Senior Citizens should make their status known to the Financial Aid Office (Eder Hall 103) during registration to assure correct fee assessment. Senior Citizens desiring to register for CED courses as non-credit seeking students should contact the Western Institute Office.


Missouri Western State University assists military members and veterans, their dependents and active duty service-members attending classes and receiving veteran benefits. The University is a Yellow Ribbon Program participating institution, participates in the Community College of the Air Force’s (CCAF) General Education Mobile (GEM) program and is in compliance with the requirement of PL 113-146 the Veteran Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014, Section 702, as amended. 

Application forms for educational assistance (G.I. Bill) and general information for military members and veterans are available in the Financial Aid Office.  Also refer to:

Students who successfully complete Basic Training in any of the United States Military branches or ROTC Basic Camp will be granted four hours of credit which will complete the general studies Category 5: Physical Health requirement. The credit will be granted by the Office of Admissions upon presentation of the DD 214, a joint services transcript, an official certificate of completion or a letter from a Commanding Officer indicating completion of training. Further, students who officially declare a Military Science minor with the Military Science department will also be granted four hours of credit which will complete the general studies Category 5: Physical Health requirement.