Legal Assistant (Associate of Science, A.S.)
The Associate of Science degree with a major in Legal Assistant is designed to provide those individuals who have little or no background or training in law with the skills necessary to work in a law office as an assistant to an attorney.
|Students must complete General Studies courses||15|
|LAT 101||Introduction to Law||3|
|LAT 115||Paralegal Studies||3|
|LAT 220||Legal Research||3|
|LAT 250||Legal Computer Applications||3|
|LAT 310||Legal Drafting||3|
|LAT 400||Advanced Legal Research||3|
|LAW 365||Practicum I||3|
|or LAW 465||Internship|
|ENG 108||College Writing and Research||3|
|MAT 110||Contemporary Problem Solving||3|
|PSC 101||American National Government||3|
|Restricted Legal Studies Electives|
|Select twelve credit hours from the following:||12|
|Introduction to Mediation|
|Study Away in Criminal Justice & Legal Studies|
|Civil Rights Law|
|Selected Legal Topics|
|Business Law I|
|Business Law II|
|Family and Child Welfare|
|Substance Abuse and Dependence|
|Death And Dying|
NOTE: Students must complete a Contact Information form prior to graduation. Per ABA program approval guidelines, students must also complete an exit interview with selected department faculty.
- Earn a minimum of 62 credit hours (100 level and above, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn 20 of the last 30 credit hours at MWSU in institutional course work (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- No more than 2 courses with a grade of D permitted in major coursework.
- Earn an overall GPA of at least 2.00 and a major GPA of at least 2.0.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.