English (Bachelor of Science in Education, B.S.E.)
The Bachelor of Science in Education degree with a major in English leads to certification to teach English in schools. Students who pursue this program should consider teaching as their immediate career goal.
|Students must complete General Studies courses||42-47|
|COM 205||Introduction to Mass Media||3|
|ENG 220||Introduction to Reading Texts||3|
|ENG 232||Language Awareness||3|
|ETC 200||Introduction to Technical Communication||3|
|ENG 301||Advanced Composition||3|
|ENG 340||Literary Theory||3|
|ENG 354||Literature in English: 1800-1860||3|
|or ENG 355||Literature in English: 1860-1945|
|or ENG 357||Literature in English : 1945-Present|
|ENG 364||Introduction to Composition Theory||3|
|ENG 365||Teaching Writing in Middle and Secondary Schools||3|
|ENG 400||Literature for Adolescents||3|
|ENG 426||Seminar in Literature||3|
|ENG 465||English Teaching: Methods and Materials||3|
|ENG 466||Practicum in the Teaching of Writing||1|
|ENG 467||Teaching of Grammar||3|
|or ENG 473||History of the English Language|
|Select two additional literature courses numbered 300 or higher||6|
|Education Professional Sequence|
|Students must complete the Professional Sequence||36|
Program Graduation Requirements
- Earn an overall GPA of at least 2.75, a major GPA of 3.0 and a minimum 3.0 GPA in Education coursework.
University Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.