Convergent Journalism (Bachelor of Science, B.S.)
The Bachelor of Science in Convergent Journalism meets the growing demand for media professionals trained to integrate traditional print and broadcast media into interactive, online environments. Students will learn the fundamentals of each medium - print, video, and online - in order to bring together these various media for powerful, interactive publications.
|Students must complete General Studies courses||42-47|
|COM 205||Introduction to Mass Media||3|
|JOU 104||Introduction to Digital Photography||3|
|JOU 202||Reporting for the Media||3|
|JOU 204||Introduction to Broadcast Journalism and Production||3|
|Select four credit hours from the following: 1|
|Journalism Practicum: Newspaper Production|
|Journalism Practicum: Yearbook Production|
|Journalism Practicum: Newspaper Management|
|Journalism Practicum: Yearbook Management|
|JOU 214||Journalism Practicum: Broadcast Production||2|
|JOU 227||Publication Design||3|
|JOU 304||Advanced Broadcast Journalism and Production||3|
|JOU 308||Copy Editing||3|
|JOU 324||Web Content and Design||3|
|JOU 328||Multimedia Storytelling||3|
|JOU 322||In-Depth/Investigative Reporting||3|
|Select one course from the following group:|
|JOU 402||Senior Project 2||3|
|JOU 403||Media Law and Ethics||3|
|JOU 432||Social Media Branding||3|
|Plus three credits of COM 200-level or higher||3|
Students may take any combination of JOU 210, JOU 310, JOU 212 and JOU 312 for a total of 4 credit hours.
Must be completed during the last spring semester prior to graduation.
Program Graduation Requirements
- No more than one D permitted in major coursework.
- Earn an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and a major GPA of at least 2.0.
University Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and higher, maximum of 6 CED credit hours applicable).
- Earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper-division courses. Lower-division transfer courses accepted as meeting upper-division departmental course requirements cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
- Earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU in institutional coursework (exclusive of credit by examination).
- Participate in required departmental and campus wide assessments.
- Fulfill the Missouri Constitution requirement.
- Successfully pass the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement exam.